Back to view all Seating

Set of twelve oak and holly dining-chairs

A fine set of twelve oak and holly dining-chairs made by Morant & Sons for Great Tew Park, circa 1843.

These chairs form part of a group of furniture supplied from 1842 by the leading Bond Street maker George Morant to Matthew Piers Watt Boulton for Tew Park, Oxfordshire. Morant designed much of the furniture to fit in with the existing pieces at Tew supplied by George Bullock from 1816-18. Hence the very Regency form of these chairs and also the unusual combination of oak and holly which was previously employed by Bullock in his work at Tew.

Provenance:
Supplied circa 1843 to Mathew Piers Watt Boulton for Tew Park, Oxfordshire.
Sold Christie's, Tew Park, 27-29 May 1987, Lot 196.
Private Collection, England.

Dimensions
Height: 33.5in. / 85cm
Width: 18.5in. / 47cm
Depth: 21.5in. / 55cm

Reference
4163

For more information or to arrange a viewing at our showroom
Email: info@jamesgraham-stewart.com
Telephone: +44 (0)203 674 0404

View bigger on Lightbox